E-Safety Parental Guidance
To help protect your children when they are using the Internet remember the GOLDen rules
• how should the internet be used in your home?
• keep information private – think, would I tell this to a stranger?
• agree rules about meeting online ‘friends’ in real life
• generally – if not acceptable in real life it shouldn’t be acceptable on line
• anti-virus and parental monitoring systems
• online safety guides
• activate security and privacy settings
• internet access should be in a family room, rather than a bedroom
• be aware that devices such as gaming consoles or mobile phones can access the internet
• or via a neighbour’s wireless network
• share the experience
• get them to teach you – this is better than any course you can go on
• ensure they are happy to talk to you if they have a problem or feel uncomfortable